iLearning Recorded Webinar
Overcoming Practice Gaps
The purpose of this faculty-directed learner-paced program is to provide information and guidance to GI Suite and Endoscope Processing personnel, assisting them in selecting and implementing appropriate strategies and tactics to overcome previously identified practice gaps. The overview of methodologies will include tools for planning, implementation, assessment and revising of their approaches. The program will include review of potential obstacles and set-backs, using examples from the GI Suite and will discuss options for overcoming those barriers. Participants will be able identify and implement an optimal framework for creating a productive, solution-oriented plan to address practice gaps in GI practice. They will be able to organize and oversee a multi-disciplinary Risk Assessment team, and using evidence from research, outline the required steps, responsibilities and metrics to resolve the key aspects of the identified practice gap. They will also be able to discuss ideas and a course of action for sustaining improvements in practice once changes in practice have been implemented.
This faculty-directed learner-paced activity is intended primarily for RNs with an interest in endoscope reprocessing and ensuring patient safety in GI Endoscopy. It will also be of interest to allied healthcare personnel and MDs.
Upon completion of this presentation, participants will be able to:
- List concepts for identifying practice gaps after performing risk analysis relative to standards of practice in the GI Suite and Endoscope Processing area
- Identify requirements to develop strategies and tactics for mitigation of practice gaps in the GI Suite and Endoscope Processing area.
- Discuss relevant examples of planning strategies and tools for sustaining necessary practice changes in the GI Suite and Endoscope Processing area.
Participants will complete the recorded webinar learning activity. They will view the presentation, then register to complete the evaluation and take the post-test on the website. They will submit the documentation as directed. A bibliographic reference is included for those wishing additional information.
Upon successful completion of the entire program, submission of required documentation and a palling grade of 80% on the post-test, participants will be granted 1 contact hour CNE credit. No partial credit will be granted.
Educational Dimensions is approved by the California Board of Registered Nursing, Provider Number 08747, the District of Columbia Board of Nursing, Provider Number 50-574, the Florida Board of Registered Nursing, Provider Number 50-574 and the Georgia Board of Nursing, Provider Number 50-574.
It is the responsibility of the licensee to verify acceptance of contact hours for relicensure.
ABCGN: According to the criteria of the American Board of Certification for Gastroenterology Nurses, 1 hour earned in this activity is considered GI Specific for the purpose of re-certification by contact hours through the ABCGN
CBSPD: This program has been pre-approved by the Certification Board for Sterile Processing and Distribution for 1 contact hour.
IAHCSMM: This program has been approved by the International Association of Healthcare Central Service Materiel Management for 1 contact hour.
NCCT: This program is acceptable for surgical technologist recertification by the National Center for Competency Testing.
- Successful completion: Participants attend the entire program, including any resulting Q & A.
- Conflict of interest: Planners disclose no conflict of interest. The author, as an employee of the commercial support entity, hereby discloses a conflict of interest. The author has signed a statement agreeing to present information fairly and without bias.
- Commercial company support: Fees are underwritten by education funding provided by Cantel Medical.
- Non-commercial company support: None.
- Alternative/Complementary therapy: None.
Participants successfully completing the activity and submitting required documentation will be permitted to print a certificate of completion. Participants are advised to retain the certificate for eight years following activity completion.
Replacement of misplaced certificate is available from Educational Dimensions. There is a fee for this service. Request a replacement by contacting us.
Guide to Study
The following steps will assist you in your successful completion of this eLearning Activity.
- Read the content or view the recorded presentation. If you want contact hours at the completion of studying the eLearning material, you will be required to register, complete an evaluation and take a post-test prior to printing your Certificate of Completion. We urge you to complete the eLearning activity once you have started. However, if you do need to come back later, you can sign in with your email and eLearning ID.
- First Time Visitors will be asked to register using an email address as your User Name. Make a note which email address you have used. Then you will create an eLearning ID using a combination of at least 6-10 letters or numbers. Please make a note of your eLearning ID and if for some reason you forget, you may request that your eLearning ID be sent to you. The web site is secured by Trustwave.
- Return Visitors: If you have registered already you do not need to register again. Just Sign In using your email and eLearning ID.
- Evaluation Form: Once you have registered or signed in you will be asked to complete an evaluation form and submit it. This is required to obtain the Certificate of Completion.
- Post-test: A post-test, based on the content of the eLearning activity, will need to be taken. A passing score of 80% is required. This is required to obtain the Certificate of Completion.
- Printing Your Certificate of Completion: Once you have successfully passed the post-test you will be able to print your Certificate of Completion. You will be given an opportunity to verify the information that will be printed on your certificate. Please make sure your printer is ready to print. You will not have access to the certificate page on later visits unless you contact us. Once you choose to print the Certificate of Completion, it will not be possible to make corrections. To obtain a corrected certificate you will need to contact Educational Dimensions. Fees may apply.
- If you encounter any technical problems during this eLearning activity, please contact us.
Recorded Webinar Video
CNE Certificate Process
Garcia-Houchins, S. (2019) Risk Analysis Tool from The Joint Commission. Presented at APIC Annual Conference, Philaldephia, PA, June 12, 2019.
Barrier. (2020). Retrieved from Merriam-Webster
Ofstead, C. L., Heymann, O. L., Quick, M. R., Eiland, J. E., & Wetzler, H. P. (2018). Residual moisture and waterborne pathogens inside flexible endoscopes: Evidence from a multisite study of endoscope drying effectiveness. American Journal of Infection Control, 46 (6), 689-696.
Oxford Dictionary. (1998) Oxford, England: Oxford University Press, Inc.