iLearning Recorded Webinar
Infection Prevention Basics in Endoscopy:
Biofilm, Reprocessing, and Superbugs
The world of the GI specialty is exciting, offering both diagnostic and therapeutic capabilities through the use of an endoscope. At the same time, the reusable endoscopes become contaminated during their uses; and therefore, they require actions and processes designed for safe reuse. Join us in this self-directed journey as we explore the various components related to endoscope handling: biofilm, reprocessing steps, and multi-drug resistant organisms (superbugs).
This faculty-directed education activity is intended primarily for RNs with a responsibility for or an interest in ensuring safe patient care in the endoscopy suite. The presentation will also be of interest to allied healthcare personnel and MDs involved in endoscopy.
Upon completion of this presentation, participants will be able to:
1) Explain the role of biofilm in healthcare-acquired infections in the GI Suite
2) Review points in the journey of an endoscope through the GI Suite in order to recognize conditions contributing to cross-contamination
3) Compare advantages and disadvantages of various options for mitigating HAI in the GI Suite
Participants will complete the recorded webinar learning activity. They will view the presentation, then register to complete the evaluation and take the post-test on the website. They will submit the documentation as directed. A bibliographic reference is included for those wishing additional information.
Upon successful completion of the entire online program and submission of required documentation, participants will be granted 1 contact hour. No partial credit will be granted.
Provider approved by the California Board of Registered Nursing, Provider Number 08747, the District of Columbia Board of Nursing, Provider Number 50-574, the Florida Board of Registered Nursing, Provider Number 50-574 and the Georgia Board of Nursing, Provider Number 50-574.
According to the criteria of the American Board of Certification for Gastroenterology Nurses (ABCGN), contact hours earned in this activity are considered GI Specific for the purpose of recertification through the ABCGN.
This program has been pre-approved by the Certification Board for Sterile Processing and Distribution (CBSPD).
This program has been approved by the Healthcare Sterile Processing Association.
- Successful completion: Participants must complete the entire program, register, achieve a score of 80% on the post-test and submit required documentation.
- Conflict of interest: Planners disclose no conflict of interest. The speakers disclose salary or honorarium from the commercial support entity; they have signed a statement agreeing to present material fairly and without bias.
- Commercial company support: Fees are underwritten by education funding provided by Boston Scientific Endoscopy.
- Non-commercial company support: None.
- Alternative/Complementary therapy: None.
- Implicit Bias: Educational Dimensions supports efforts to eliminate health care disparities and implicit bias in medical treatment along the lines of race, ethnicity, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, socioeconomic status other characteristics in CNE activities addressing direct patient care.
Participants successfully completing the activity and submitting required documentation will be permitted to print a certificate of completion. Participants are advised to retain the certificate for eight years following activity completion.
Replacement of misplaced certificate is available from Educational Dimensions. There is a fee for this service. Request a replacement by contacting us.
Guide to Study
The following steps will assist you in your successful completion of this eLearning Activity.
- Read the content or view the recorded presentation. If you want contact hours at the completion of studying the eLearning material, you will be required to register, complete an evaluation and take a post-test prior to printing your Certificate of Completion. We urge you to complete the eLearning activity once you have started. However, if you do need to come back later, you can sign in with your email and eLearning ID.
- First Time Visitors will be asked to register using an email address as your User Name. Make a note which email address you have used. Then you will create an eLearning ID using a combination of at least 6-10 letters or numbers. Please make a note of your eLearning ID and if for some reason you forget, you may request that your eLearning ID be sent to you. The web site is secured by Trustwave.
- Return Visitors: If you have registered already you do not need to register again. Just Sign In using your email and eLearning ID.
- Evaluation Form: Once you have registered or signed in you will be asked to complete an evaluation form and submit it. This is required to obtain the Certificate of Completion.
- Post-test: A post-test, based on the content of the eLearning activity, will need to be taken. A passing score of 80% is required. This is required to obtain the Certificate of Completion.
- Printing Your Certificate of Completion: Once you have successfully passed the post-test you will be able to print your Certificate of Completion. You will be given an opportunity to verify the information that will be printed on your certificate. Please make sure your printer is ready to print. You will not have access to the certificate page on later visits unless you contact us. Once you choose to print the Certificate of Completion, it will not be possible to make corrections. To obtain a corrected certificate you will need to contact Educational Dimensions. Fees may apply.
- If you encounter any technical problems during this eLearning activity, please contact us.